More articles have come out lately in praise of Roger Angell, who received the Spink Award for baseball writing last weekend at the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Tom Verducci, senior baseball writer for Sports Illustrated had this to say. Is Verducci the “heir apparent” for Angell? Remember, Angell has been writing about the game since there were still just 18 teams in the Major Leagues, before divisional playoffs,24/7 sports networks/ the Internet and blogs… Maybe we’ll never see someone of his stature again.
- From the Never Too Much Baseball site.
- My Facebook friend Joe Bonomo posted this in tribute.
- And, as it should be, the New Yorker paid tribute to their veteran writer with a video and short list of some of his best work.
Here are a few pieces that were published prior to Angell’s Cooperstown event.
- From Women’s Wear Daily, of all places.
- Bonomo’s birthday wishes when Angell turned 93 last year.
- And the writer’s own contribution in the New Yorker, reflecting on his life, then and now.