I am working on a “Bookshelf Conversation” podcast with Heather Quinlan, producer of a new documentary about the 1986 New York Mets. Quinlan is trying to raise $50,000 for her project via Kickstarter. (There are similar sites , but who has time to go through them all? Perhaps this will motivate you to investigate further.)
A few years back I wrote this story about a Kickstarter gig for a documentary regarding a young man’s efforts to donate baseball equipment to the youth of Cuba and all the red tape he and his family encountered. So I don’t know why it only just occurred to me that there are probably a lot of writers, filmmakers, musicians, artists, etc., who are going that route for items that would be appropriate to this blog’s mission. Indeed some have already been done, but here are a few still pending. There are usually some perks (merchandise, credit, etc.) offered depending on the amount pledged, so you can come away with some nice merch. Also, for those unfamiliar with Kickstarter, if the total amount is not raised in the allotted time, the project is cancelled and no monies are exchanged.
Note: inclusion (or omission) here is not meant as a personal endorsement; it’s merely a service. Financial figures and dates are as of this posting.
- ’86 Mets: The Movie: Goal: $50,000. Time remaining: 43 days. Amount raised so far: $7,329.
- Wicked Baseball Clothing. “We envision using Wicked Baseball Clothing to positively impact youth baseball in our area [Massachusetts].” Goal: $60,000. Time remaining: 27 days. Amount raised so far: $7,643.
- MC Escher/Norman Rockwell Interlocking Baseball Poster: Goal: $1,000. Time remaining: 23 days. Amount raised so far: $1.
- George and the Pine Tar – A Book For Young Baseball Fans. Goal: $10,000. Time remaining: 29 days. Amount raised so far: $504.
- Legends to Life Project: “Imagine hearing the crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd and seeing baseball Legends come to Life…all from an app.” Goal: $30,000. Time remaining: 5 days. Amount raised so far: $105.