The top ten baseball books as per Amazon.com.
Caveat 1: Print editions only (at least for now); because I’m old school.
Caveat 2: Since the rankings are updated every hour, these lists might not longer be 100 percent accurate by the time you read them. But it’ll be close enough for government work.
Caveat 3: Sometimes they’ll try to pull one over on you and include a book within a category that doesn’t belong. I’m using my discretion to eliminate such titles from my list. For example, for some reason a recent listing included Tarnished Heels: How Unethical Actions and Deliberate Deceit at the University of North Carolina Ended the “The Carolina Way”, which, far as I can tell, is not at all about baseball, at least not in the main. For the sake of brevity, I will be omitting the subtitles, which have become ridiculously long in in some cases in recent years, also at my discretion.
- The Closer, by Mariano Rivera with Wayne Coffey. This moves up to #5 on the NY Times‘ hardcover non-fiction list dated June 8. (Bookreporter.com review. By the way, The Closer received only a C+ from Entertainment Weekly, which described it as “honest but elusive” and “the anti-Ball Four,… polite, sanitized…”)
- A Nice Little Place on the North Side, by George F. Will
- Where Nobody Knows Your Name, by Michael Feinstein (Bookshelf review and Conversation)
- Pete Rose: An American Dilemma, by Kostya Kennedy (Bookshelf Conversation)
- Moneyball, by Michael Lewis
- The Science of Hitting, by Ted Williams
- Zim: A Baseball Life, by Don Zimmer and Bill Madden. Obviously due to Zimmer’s passing earlier this week.
- Sports Illustrated’s Baseball’s Greatest. Makes a great Dad/Grad gift.
- Up, Up, & Away, by Johan Keri (Expos history)
- The Greatest baseball Stories Ever Told, by Jeff Silverman
Not on this list? 501 Baseball Books Fans Must Read before They Die. Ya’ll are gonna do something about that, right? Father’s Day is coming up, after all (and I would consider it a belated birthday present to me if the remaining 14 copies on Amazon get snatched up . Just sayin’.)