Born this date:
1916 – Bob Prince, announcer (d. 1985)
Lest we forget:
2008 – Jules Tygiel, author (b. 1949)
- Baseball’s Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy
- Past Time: Baseball As History\
- Extra Bases: Reflections on Jackie Robinson, Race, and Baseball History
- The Jackie Robinson Reader: Perspectives on an American Hero
Also on this day:
1902 – Playing his first game for Connie Mack’s A’s, Rube Waddell faces only 27 batters, blanking the Orioles, 2 – 0. The 25-year old southpaw strikes out the side three times in the 3rd (on just nine pitches) 6th, and 9th innings.
1943 - The Sporting News switches to a tabloid format from a standard metro layout as a means of saving newsprint.
1982 – In what is considered a questionable decision at the time, Cal Ripken Jr. is moved from third base to shortstop by Oriole manager Earl Weaver.
2000 – In honor of Canada Day: On Canada’s 133rd birthday, Florida’s Ryan Dempster and Montreal’s Mike Johnson hook up in a rare matchup of Canadian starters. Dempster comes out on top as the Marlins defeat the Expos, 6 – 5. Johnson hails from Edmonton, Alberta, while Dempster is a native of Sechelt, British Columbia.
- Cheering for the Home Team: The Story of Baseball in Canada
- The Northern Game: Baseball the Canadian Way