Hit the mother lode on Kirkus today in a good-news/bad-news scenario. On the plus side, I found several reviews of forthcoming topics for your interest and information.
On the down side, 501 isn’t among them.
- Hank Greenberg: The Hero of Heroes, by John Rosengrean (buy it here).
- Baseball as a Road to God: Seeing Beyond the Game, by John Sexton (buy it here).
- Trading Bases: A Story About Wall Street, Gambling, and Baseball (Not Necessarily in That Order), by Joe Peta (buy it here). The Hardball Times also posted a review of this one, as did Phil Birnbaum on his Sabermetric Research blog.
- The Bird: The Life and Legacy of Mark Fidrych, by Doug Wilson (buy it here).
- Who’s on Worst? The Lousiest Players, Biggest Cheaters, Saddest Goats and Other Antiheroes in Baseball History, by Filip Bondy (buy it here).
Harvey Frommer, writing in The Epoch Times, published this collection of sports book reveiws, including Francona: The Red Sox Years; Closer; So You Think You Know Baseball; and Summer of ’68. Actually, these are so much reviews as “announcements.”
In honor of the World Baseball Classic, The Classical ran this movie review from a grade D flick, The Comrades of Summer.