born this date in 1895.
Robert K. Fitts, author of Wally Yonamine: The Man Who Changed Japanese Baseball and Remembering Japanese Baseball: An Oral History of the Game (Writing Baseball), releases a new book that features Ruth as a central character in Banzai Babe Ruth: Baseball, Espionage, and Assassination during the 1934 Tour of Japandue out on March 1.
Fitts will be the keynote speaker at the 19th Annual NINE Spring Training Conference on the Historical and Sociological Impact of Baseball, March 7-10, in Tempe, Arizona.
From an entry about books about Hall of Famers (March 9, 2011):
More books have been written about Ruth than any other ballplayer. It’s interesting to note how much more “adult” they became with the passing of time. It would be folly to try to list every one here, so these are just a sampling:
- The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth, by Montville, 2006
- Babe: The Legend Comes to Life, by Creamer, 1974
- Babe Ruth’s Own Book of Baseball
- Babe Ruth, by Wagenheim, 1974
- Babe Ruth & the American Dream, by Sobol, 1974
- The Life That Ruth Built: A Biography, by Smelser, 1975
- Babe Ruth: Remembering the Bambino in Stories, Photos & Memorabilia, by Gilbert, 2008
- Babe Ruth His Life and Times: 100th Anniversary of Ruth’s Birth, by Adomites and Wisnia, 1995
- The Babe and I, Mrs. Babe Ruth, 1959
- Babe Ruth, by Meany, 1951
- The Real Babe Ruth, by Daniel, 1949
- The Real Babe Ruth, by Hoyt, 1948
- Babe Ruth: The Big Moments of the Big Fellow, by Meany, 1947
- Babe Ruth’s big book of baseball, by Ruth, 1935
- How to Play Baseball, by Ruth, 1931 (This one sells for $1,274 on Amazon.com.)