Intro: As previously stated, the recent election of Robert Alomar and Bert Blyleven got me to thinking: how many Hall of Famers have had books written about them or penned their own stories. Here are the results. Again, this is not an all-inclusive list; almost all juvenile titles have been omitted.
* * *
Rube Waddell, Inducted 1946
- Rube Waddell: The Zany, Brilliant Life of a Strikeout Artist, by Levy, 2001
- Just a Big Kid: The Life and Times of Rube Waddell, by Prioa, 2007
Honus Wagner, 1936
- Honus: The Life and Times of a Baseball Hero, by Hageman, 1996
- Honus Wagner: The Life of Baseball’s “Flying Dutchman”, by Hittner, 2003
- Honus and Me: A Baseball Card Adventure, by Gutman, 1997 (juvenile)
- Honus Wagner: On His Life & Baseball, by Wagner, edited by Cobb, 2006
- Honus Wagner: A Biography, by DeValeria and DeValeria, 1996
- All Star!: Honus Wagner and the Most Famous Baseball Card Ever, by Yolen, 2010 (juvenile)
Bobby Wallace, 1953
There are no titles about Wallace.
Ed Walsh, 1946
- Big Ed Walsh: The Life and Times of a Spitballing Hall of Famer, by Smiles, 2007
Lloyd Waner, 1967
- Big and Little Poison: Paul and Lloyd Waner, Baseball Brothers, by Parker, 2002
Paul Waner, 1952
See Lloyd Waner
John Montgomery Ward, 1964
- A Clever Base-Ballist: The Life and Times of John Montgomery Ward, by Di Salvatore, 1999
- Baseball’s Radical for All Seasons: A Biography of John Montgomery Ward (American Sports History Series), by Stevens, 1998
- Ward’s Baseball Book: How to Become a Player, by Ward; SABR edition, 1993
Earl Weaver, 1996
- Weaver on Strategy, by Weaver with Pluto, 1984
- Earl of Baltimore, by Pluto, 1982
- It’s What You Learn After You Know it All That Counts: Updated to Include the 1982 Season, by Weaver, 1982
George M. Weiss, 1971
There are no titles about Weiss.
Mickey Welch, 1973
There are no titles about Welch.
Willie Wells, 1997 (Negro Leagues)
- Willie Wells: ‘El Diablo’ of the Negro Leagues, by Luke, 2007
Zach Wheat, 1959
There are no titles about Wheat.
Sol White, 2006 (Negro Leagues)
- Sol White’s History of Colored Baseball with Other Documents on the Early Black Game, 1886-1936, by White, 1995
Hoyt Wilhelm, 1985
There are no titles about Wilhelm.
J.L. Wilkinson, 2006 (Negro Leagues)
There are no titles about Wilkinson.
Billy Williams, 1987
- Billy Williams: My Sweet-Swinging Lifetime With the Cubs, by Williams with Mitchell, 2008
Dick Williams, 2008
- No More Mr. Nice Guy: A Life of Hardball, by Williams with Plaschke, 1990
Smokey Joe Williams
There are no titles about Smokey Joe Williams.
Ted Williams, 1966
Like Ruth, DiMaggio, and Mantle, there are a number of bios about The Splendid Splinter, especially later in life when he was the last of that level of player remaining. Several were published come after his death.
- Ted Williams: The Biography of an American Hero, by Montville, 2004
- The Science of Hitting, by Williams with Underwood, 1971. Williams and Underwood collaborated on a few projects. Many Major Leaguers have said in interviews that they read Williams’ instructional on batting.
- My Turn at Bat: The Story of My Life (Fireside Sports Classics), by Williams with Underwood, 1969.
- It’s Only Me: The Ted Williams We Hardly Knew, by Underwood, 2005
- Ted Williams: A Biography (Baseball’s All-Time Greatest Hitters), by Markusen, 2004
- The Unforgettable Season: Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams and the Record-Setting Summer of 1941, by Bildner, 2011 (Juvenile)
- Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu: John Updike on Ted Williams, by Updike, re-released 2010
- Ted Williams, A Biography of The Kid, by Sampson, 1950
- Ted Williams: 1951, by Meany, 1951
- The Ted Williams Story, 1955
- The Ted Williams Story, by Schoor, 1963
- Hitter: The Life and Turmoils of Ted Williams, by Linn, 1993
- Ted Williams: The Eternal Kid, by Linn, 1961
- Ted Williams, by Robinson, 1962
- Ted Williams: My Life in Pictures, by Williams with Pietrusza, 2001
- Baseball Legends: Ted Williams, by Wollf, 1993
- Ted Williams Reader, edited by Baldassaro, 1991
- Ted Williams at War, by Nowlin, 2007
- Ted Williams: The Pursuit of Perfection, by Nowlin, 2002
- Ted Williams: A Splendid Life, by Nowlin, 2002
- The Kid: Ted Williams in San Diego, by Nowlin, 2005
- Ted Williams: A Tribute, by Nowlin, 1997
Vic Willis, 1995
There are no titles about Willis.
Jud Wilson, 2006 (Negro Leagues)
There are no books about Jud Wilson.
Hack Wilson, 1979
- Fouled Away: The Baseball Tragedy of Hack Wilson, by Parker, 2000
- Hack: The Meteroric Life of One of Baseball’s First Superstars, Hack Wilson, by Boone and Brunska, 1978
- Hack’s 191: Hack Wilson and His Incredible 1930 Season, by Chastian, due out 2012
Dave Winfield, 2001
George Wright, 1937
- George Wright’s book for 1875,: Containing record of the Boston base ball club, with scores of base ball and cricket trip to England, and other items of … styles, with an explanation of each, by Wright, 1875
Harry Wright, 1953
- Harry Wright: The Father of Professional Base Ball, by Devine, 2003
Both Harry and George Wright are staples of histories about the origins of baseball.
Early Wynn, 1972
- Early Wynn, the Go-Go White Sox and the 1959 World Series, by Freedman, 2009
Carl Yastrzemski, 1989
- Yastrzemski (Icons of Major League Baseball), by Yastrzemski, 2007
- Yaz/Baseball, the Wall, and Me, by Yastrzemski, with Eshkenazi, 1990
- Batting, by Yazstremski, with Hirshberg, 1968
- Let’s Go, Yaz: The Story of Carl Yastrzemski, by Jackson, 1968
Tom Yawkey, 1980
There are no titles about Yawkey, but he’s a staple of books about the Red Sox and, unfortunately, racism in baseball.
Cy Young, 1937
Royce Youngs, 1972
There are no titles about Youngs.
Robin Yount, 1999
- Hank Aaron – Earl Averill
- Home Run Baker – Jesse Burkett
- Roy Campanella – Kiki Cuyler
- Ray Dandridge – Buck Ewing
- Red Faber – Frankie Frisch
- Pud Galvin- Tony Gwynn
- Chick Hafey – Monte Irvin
- Reggie Jackson – Bowie Kuhn
- Nap Lajoie – Ted Lyons
- Connie Mack – Stan Musial
- Hal Newhouser – Kirby Puckett
- Hoss Radbourn – Nolan Ryan
- Ryan Sandburg – Don Sutton
- Ben Taylor – Bill Veeck